Letter from the President
As a pioneer in health insurance, providing financial security and peace of mind for Americans, HCSC and our Blue Cross and Blue Shield Plans in Illinois, New Mexico, Oklahoma and Texas have stayed true to our purpose since our founding. For more than 75 years, we have understood that there’s nothing more important to us than doing everything in our power to stand with our members in sickness and in health. That purpose always has extended to making local communities better places for our members to live and work, especially during difficult times, when those in need are more vulnerable than ever.
For example, through community giving and employee volunteerism last year, we:
- Provided more than 215,000 free immunizations and other health services to children and adults at risk
- Volunteered more than 31,000 hours to support hundreds of local organizations; and
- Created safe places to play for nearly 12,000 children.
Additionally, through environmental sustainability, ethics and integrity, and diversity and inclusion initiatives, we:
- Recycled nearly 3,000 tons of paper;
- Received our 12th straight Compliance Best Practice Award; and
- Increased the diversity of our workforce to more than 35 percent.
On behalf of our more than 18,000 employees, I’m pleased to share our 2012 Social Responsibility Report. In it, you will see the many ways we continue to give back to our communities and live out the true meaning of our purpose.